Friday, September 26, 2008

Work At Home Mum?

I've got a sales calling home based job which started on Monday.

Not exactly a sales kind of job but more like making phone calls to check stock availability and taking of orders. No sales quota to meet at all, just have to make MANY calls, and I only have to work for the first few days every week. I thought I couldn't manage this job initially cos I had imagined the scenario of a crying child fussing for attention, with piling laundry to do, dirty dishes to wash, dusty floors to mop, and a dishevelled looking mum trying frantically to make some phone calls to earn some pocket money. Well I survived, at least for the first week.

Heidi was surprisingly cooperative while I was busy on the phone during that few days. She watched her Barney videos, flipped her storybooks and played puzzles and toys by herself. I passed her a few pieces of her clothing and she could spend quite some time practising trying to put them on herself. At times when I said "bye" on the phone when ending a call, she would go" ta" and waved her hand goodbye too. She only fussed for my attention a couple of times but overall it was still very manageable. I had to allocate my time properly and prioritise my duties so that I could still bring and fetch her from her playgroup class, bathe her, prepare her meals and do household chores. I managed to mop the floors and do the laundry so the house is still quite in order. Sacrifices? I had late lunches, no more afternoon naps and every minute I was kept busy, busy, busy. I will still continue this work at home job for as long as I'm needed. I may not be bringing in thousands of dollars but it's still money to me.

On the days I don't work, I try to spend as much time as possible with Heidi, to make up for the time I couldn't give her my full attention while I'm working on the phone. To reward her for being such a darling the past few days, I opened up some new toys for her. Once, I gave her some ink stamps to play with and I nearly got a heart attack when she got big red and blue ink patches on her face. She was grasping the ink pad with her hand and happily smothering the ink on her face while I was not watching her. Will need to think of some other fun activities for her to work on next week.

No comments: