Tuesday, April 1, 2008

First Day Of School

As expected, Heidi woke up very grouchy in the morning cos she slept very late the night before. After her breakfast of milk with cereal, a brief cleanup and putting on her uniform, she was ready to go to school.

Daddy could go to work a little later so was able to bring us to school today. He left after seeing us to the door of the classroom.

Heidi was busy exploring the toys and stuff in the room when class started. The children were all generally well behaved except for a little girl who was suffering from separation anxiety. Her mummy was there with her as well, but she started to cry when her mummy tried to leave the room. Heidi followed suit and I had to entertain and keep her distracted with the pictures on the walls. Twice she collected her shoes from the shoe rack and brought them to me. I explained to her that we were not going home yet. The teacher tried to hide her shoes at one point and she started fussing again when she couldn't find her shoes.

All was well during snack time. Heidi had some gerber puffs but soon sleepiness got the better of her and she started to get really cranky. She even refused to join in the Art and Craft session when the teacher guided the children to make paint prints on paper using half an apple. The teachers were however, very patient and also tried to carry and soothe her. Teacher Siti said that Heidi probably needed a bit more time to adjust and esp now that she's cranky for her nap, it's difficult to get her to settle down.

Nearing the end of the class, I got a missed call from Daddy. I called him back and "reported" to him about what happened this morning. Daddy seemed very amused and only said to give her more time.

After attending a full class session today, I like what they do in class and the children seemed to really enjoy getting involved in the activities. I sure hope Heidi can adapt to the playgroup very soon and enjoy the activities as much as they do.

We'll be back to school on Wednesday.

No comments: